If you haven’t tried CBD oil for treating pet pain or pet anxiety, you are missing out! There is so much more to this superfood supplement than people give credit to. Because the oil is derived from cannabis, people hold a stigma against it and sometimes don’t give it the credit it deserves. To help you better understand the benefits of CBD oil, here are 7 things you didn’t know about CBD oil for dogs.
1. It is non-toxic: Unlike prescription drugs, CBD oil is non-toxic and therefore can be used alongside any current medications your pet is taking. You do not need to chance your pets eating habits either, just give your do a few drops under the tongue twice a day and watch the improvements yourself.
2. It doesn’t get your high: Because CBD is extracted from cannabis plants, many people think that it will get your high. This is far from the truth. CBD Oil is cold pressed from the plant using a high-tech CO2 expeller process. This allows the chemists to only extract the cannabidiol oil (CBD) and none of the THC (what gets you high).
3. Great pain reliever: Did you know that Aspirin is extracted from the bark of willow trees? Just like Aspirin, CBD oil is extracted from the cannabis plant. Both can be used to target pain and reduce inflammation. Similarly, you wouldn’t smoke willow tree leaves but you would take an Aspirin – can you see how CBD is so similar now? You don’t need to grow dreadlocks and start listening to Reggae to enjoy the benefits that the cannabis plant has to offer.
4. Works with your cells: The CBD oils work directly with the endocannabidiol system. This is the system in your body that controls your overall wellbeing. Dogs have this same system in their body’s too. Taking CBD oil as a supplement will not only help with pain or inflammation, it will also improve your dog’s overall mood.
5. High in Fatty Acids: If you are currently giving your dog fish oil supplements for the fatty acid benefits, you can replace these with CBD oil. Because fish oil is extracted using heat, there is a much higher chance that the oil becomes radicalized. When radicalized it actually has the reverse effect and can cause inflammation. CBD oil is just as rich in Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, but is extracted using extreme cold. Through this cold extraction, the oil will not be radicalized and scientists are able to extract the purest and most potent CBD oil.
6. Comes in Isolate & Full Spectrum: There are two kinds of CBD oils that you can purchase for your dog, isolate and full spectrum. Isolate works like Aspirin to target specific pain or inflammation. Full spectrum on the other hand is extracted from the entire plant and gives a more “multi-vitamin” type health benefit. Including a full spectrum CBD oil supplement in your dog’s daily diet is a great way to give them the Omega acids they need as well as overall health benefits.
7. Reduces Anxiety: If your pet suffers from anxiety during storms or when you leave for work, CBD oil can help improve their overall mood and reduce anxiety dramatically. We mentioned before, CBD oil works with the endocannabidiol system which controls a person (or dog’s) overall mood. By supplementing CBD oils, your pet will feel less anxious when you leave or if there is a big thunder storm. Having less anxiety (and stress) will lead to a longer, healthier life for you dog.
Now that you have all the facts on CBD oils, you can make the educated choice on if it is right for your dog. Having personally used it myself and on my pets, I can assure you that the hype is real. Because it is just recently legal, there is still lots of scientific research being done. In the years to come, I would guess that the list of health benefits only gets longer.
To purchase CBD oil for dogs, use this link. There are also CBD dog treats which are a great choice for helping with dog anxiety, you can find those here.